Wednesday 6 June 2018

Cape Town Initiative: Downward Dogs for Dogs




Michelle Banwell is the founder of the brilliant initiative, Downward Dogs for Dogs.  She hosts the frequent event that saves the lives of so many animals.  She has shared her story of how Downward Dogs for Dogs began, what goes into the process, and what the reception has been.

A bit about Michelle:

I’m Michelle.  I've lived in Cape Town all my life, and for a living I study brains and bend bodies - I'm working on a Master's in Neuroscience at UCT, and I teach yoga. I had practiced yoga for a number of years while studying, and after completing my Honours in Psychology and feeling the frantic 'what the hell can I do with a degree but no Master's in Psych in South Africa?' existential dread, I decided to take the plunge and enroll in a yoga teacher training programme with the Jim Harrington Yoga Union.  Other things to answer the terrifying question of who I am: I love animals (obviously) and am a vegetarian for that reason, I always have my nose in a book, try to avoid the sun at all costs, and practically mainline chocolate milk in order to function. 

On why she started Downward Dogs for Dogs:

I've been involved with animal rescue for quite some time, and although it's incredibly rewarding on a case-by-case basis, the need is overwhelming and often seems insurmountable.  Animal shelters are bursting at the seams with unwanted dogs and cats (and often other animals), many of whom need rehabilitation and medical treatment, and all of whom need good homes and deserve love. As fast as shelters treat and rehome one animal, another six come in. The burden of animal overpopulation and mistreatment doesn't only affect certain shelters - almost every shelter is constantly battling issues of finance and capacity. For me, once I'd been exposed to the sheer volume of animals needing help, it wasn't something I could ignore. I wanted to help, and furthermore, wanted others to help, and here was where Downward Dog for Dogs (DDFD) spawned. 

Between finishing school and studying, I was lucky enough to spend a year interning at SALT, a non-profit organisation focusing on education, nutrition, and empowering vulnerable women in the townships of Dunoon and Joe Slovo. Amongst all the lessons I learned while there, one of the most striking was that people want to help, but they often don't know how. There's a gap between the need and those who want to meet the need, and that gap is people being uncertain of the avenues they can use to get involved; people thinking they have nothing to offer; people thinking that because they can't afford to donate money, they can't assist; people not having the space in their busy lives to take time to volunteer; etc. One of the biggest challenges in non-profit/funding work is finding a way to bridge that gap, and it often involves encouraging people to use what they have at their disposal. DDFD seemed like a viable idea, because giving a yoga class is something I can do (I like to think halfway decently!), and it allows people to do something for themselves, while still helping to meet a need. The premise of DDFD is pretty simple: instead of paying for a yoga class, participants bring a donation to gain entry. This can be anything - dog or cat food, towels, blankets, toys, or a monetary donation. People of all levels of experience are welcome to join (no, you don't have to be able to touch your toes!), and spectators are also more than welcome. I know not everybody is into yoga, so for the non-yogis, there are still a couple of draw cards: with the help of incredible sponsors, I've been able to run raffles for awesome prizes at the events, which has greatly increased the amount of money handed over to the shelters (as the events are obviously non-profit and all revenue is handed over). However, the best part of DDFD is the dogs - puppies from the beneficiaries are always around for some cuddles, and at the most recent event, three puppies were adopted into their forever homes!  I'm lucky to work with an amazing animal rescue called Change for the Better Foundation (link here) - they do such incredible work on a daily basis, and being able to offer them a small amount of support through these events is truly a privilege. 

On what the reception has been & plans for the future:

What I'd love to see happening is the event becoming bigger and more regular, maybe even becoming a standing monthly/bi-monthly occurrence. I definitely feel like the support would be there in terms of attendees, but my biggest hurdles are finding venues that are big enough for +-60-70 yogis, that are also dog-friendly, and preferably have food/drinks available, or the option to bring in a food company to keep the non-yogis entertained - and this is even more difficult in winter, as outdoor venues are a bit daunting for me in case it rains; and finding sponsors for the raffles - as I said, I've had incredible support from companies, (some of whom have generously thrown prizes at me for every event, but I am wary of donor fatigue) but many companies can only sponsor one or two events, which is great, and I'm so appreciative of it! However, the raffle does generate a large proportion of cash for the shelters, and I'm very conscious of wanting to have a variety of prizes at each event to encourage people to buy raffle tickets. 

At every event, I'm reduced to tears and completely blown away by the support. Over the course of five events, over R23 500 and 460 kg of food has been raised for animal shelters. Although the need is so big, every little bit helps, and I'm so grateful for each and every donation and contribution that people have made - from loyal sponsors who repeatedly show their generosity in terms of prizes, to people who show up at the event, to the donations they make, and even people who can't attend, but share the event with their friends - these actions literally help to save the lives of animals. With every event, the crowd of yogis and spectators grow, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store.


To watch a video of Michelle and the story of her dog from City of Cape Town watch here.
Follow her Facebook page to find out when the next events are happening @ Michelle Jeanne Yoga or click here.


"The greatness of a nation, and its moral progress, can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

The internet has become a place where people hide behind a keyboard and anonymity and tear one another down.   I googled “women of the wee...