Friday 1 June 2018

The Importance of the Humble Mosquito: Ashley Burke Shares Her Research




Ashley Morgan Burke is a PhD candidate based in Johannesburg, South Africa.  She is affiliated with the Wits Research Institute of Malaria, and the Centre for Emerging Zoonotic & Parasitic Diseases.  Upon hearing about her research and the implications that it has, both nationally and globally, I have asked her to share a bit about it.

Ashley's Story:

I adore insects (mostly). I find their interactions with the natural world and each other completely fascinating. Insects are among some of the most prolific life forms on earth so it’s a no-brainer to me that they should be a thoroughly researched group. Despite the ubiquity of all the pretty, unusual, and popular insect study offerings, I have found myself studying the most unpopular insect- the dreaded mosquito.

After having completed my undergrad and honours degree at Rhodes University in Grahamstown, I decided to make the jump to the larger and more exciting city of Jozi to undertake my MSc degree in Health Science at Wits. This was a decision that catapulted my scientific education and career into motion. My masters work was centred around malaria vector surveillance in South Africa, which involved a lot of field work in Mpumalanga as this is one of our malaria-endemic regions. I was involved in monthly field trips to rural villages in Mpumalanga where we would collect wild mosquitoes from clay pot resting traps and return to the labs in Johannesburg to analyse them. Back at the lab, the wild mosquitoes were identified to species using molecular techniques and screened for the presence of the malaria parasite (Plasmodium falciparum). I was very unlucky with the timing of my masters work, as all of my fieldwork (just over a year’s worth) coincided perfectly with the worst drought South Africa has experienced in 100 years. So that left me with a tiny sample size and a bit of a sinking feeling of having been defeated by the natural elements.

Then my luck bounced back. While processing and screening some of my wild-caught specimens, I got an unusual result that showed that one of my specimens tested positive for the malaria parasite. It was unusual because this species of mosquito had never before been implicated in malaria transmission anywhere in the world. This was highly significant to both the mosquito-world and the public health system and we (my supervisor and other departmental seniors) were very excited about it. Incriminating a new secondary vector mosquito of malaria contributes to our greater understanding of how this disease persists at the residual level in South Africa all through the year, in spite of the control strategies that have been implemented in the affected regions. This discovery led to a first-author publication with my fellow student at the time, now Dr Leonard Dandalo, in a very high impact journal. I was ecstatic.

My masters work then drew to a close and I decided to upgrade my MSc to a PhD degree, which was assisted by the publication on the MSc work, and I am now working towards completing my PhD degree. My work is still largely based on malaria vector surveillance in South Africa, with an additional focus on the seasonal biology of malaria vector mosquitoes. I am still involved with a lot of fieldwork and running of experiments to monitor the effects of season on mosquito metabolic activity. This work will give us an idea of how or if mosquitoes change their behaviour at the onset of different seasons and whether we could target them at their vulnerable (winter) stage to reduce their population growth in the following summer season. As it stands, malaria transmission continues right through the year, albeit with a decline in winter, and we are trying to figure out how best to tailor our control strategies to match the changing behaviour of the vector mosquitoes.

Malaria is considered one of the world’s most devastating diseases and the carrier mosquito has caused more human deaths than any other animal on the planet. This places a huge amount of gravity to our work on the national and global scale. I am so grateful to be working with and under the supervision of some world-renowned researchers who pioneered understanding of the vector mosquito Anopheles and its interaction with the malaria parasite. This field of work has ever-increasing scientific interest and it is time for the rest of world to appreciate the overwhelming importance of the humble mosquito.
  
Some key malaria facts from the World Health Organisation Malaria Report 2017:




No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

The internet has become a place where people hide behind a keyboard and anonymity and tear one another down.   I googled “women of the wee...