Tuesday 29 May 2018

Inspiring Entrepreneurs: ANIM Naturals



Continuing the discussion of incredible entrepreneurs on the African continent, I have asked Akosua to answer some questions about her brand, the impetus that started it all, and her hopes for the future.  

-A bit about herself

I am Akosua, I was born in Ghana and raised in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. I run my own business called, ANIM Naturals. We make all natural hair and skin care products from raw materials sourced from across the African continent. I’m also a part time Masters student studying African studies, which I came across through my deep passion for learning more about African history, culture, and society. I'm also very passionate about social justice and would say that my life goal is to contribute to bringing about substantive change and human flourishing on the African continent.  Prior to starting ANIM Naturals, I worked in development economics as a research associate at MIT's JPAL Research unit for 2 years. Before that I attended university at UCT where I did a B.Com Economics and Finance, and an honours degree in Finance, which I hardly ever use.

I love travelling, particularly on the African continent and hope to one day have visited all of the countries on the continent. I'm a big appreciator of the creative arts, particularly fine art and music. I love Jazz and long walks on Sea Point promenade.

- On why she decided to start her brand

I had transitioned to wearing my hair natural (refraining from using chemical straighteners) in my honours year at university. I stopped relaxing my hair and began to cut off the chemically processed parts and allow the natural hair to grow. For me that experience was one of profound self actualisation. For the first time I saw my hair in its natural state, as it grew out of my head and there was very little information or products on the market to aid me in taking care of my natural hair. My mom then introduced me to Shea butter which is processed manually in the North of Ghana from the Shea nut. She told me how she had grown up using this amazing butter for everything from head to toe. I began using it, and as other friends began the journey of returning to natural hair I advised them on what to do and gave them some shea butter for free. In 2016, in my second year of masters, funding restrictions gave me the push to start a business out of helping women of colour return to natural, and that’s how ANIM Naturals (f.k.a AKAN Organics) was born.

- On what the reception has been

People seem to love the brand. It’s simple, minimalistic and promises quality, which is everything. We've been very lucky to have received funding for the business at the very early stages so we were able to really get out there and make ourselves known to this exciting burgeoning market. We launched the initial four product offering in 2016, and have used all the reviews and feedback we've received from customers to improve and enhance the product offering that you see today. So we really do a lot of design-thinking and design everything around the end user, and I think people pick up on that and appreciate that about the brand. All of our products are made from at least 97% naturally derived ingredients that have been sustainably sourced from across the African continent; so we really pride ourselves in making high quality products and I think we are also known for that in the market. We are listed on most of the major online marketplaces (Zando, Takealot etc), our products are available in a number of small physical stores and salons in every major city in South Africa and later this year it will, God willing, be available in major retailers too.


- On her hopes for the brand

The short term plans for the business are to scale up production and increase our distribution channels by listing the products in major retailers in South Africa. Long term plans are to expand the social responsibility aspect of our business by contributing to the improvement of employment outcomes, health care, and education in the Shea processing communities in the North of Ghana where we source our raw materials from. We are also working with a Shea processing Cooperative in the North of Ghana to see how we can even further contribute to the lives of the women who make the amazing shea butter and black soap we use in our products. In the near future we'd also like to get both fair trade and organic certification for all of our products.


Follow them on:
instagram: @animnaturals








No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

The internet has become a place where people hide behind a keyboard and anonymity and tear one another down.   I googled “women of the wee...